Thank you for visiting my website.
I am an educator, organiser and campaigner in the areas of peace, non-violence, nuclear abolition, international law, human rights (including gender and children’s rights) and the environment.
I am also vegetarian (for ethical and environmental reasons), a novice musician and songwriter, recreational runner and skiier, and former squash player. I have one daughter and two grandchildren.
I was born in Aotearoa-New Zealand (Aotearoa is the indigenous name for the country) and have lived in the USA and Switzerland. I currently live in Prague.
My main work roles are:
- Coordinator of Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferaton and Disarmament;
- Director of the Basel Peace Office;
- Coordinator of the World Future Council Peace & Disarmament Program;
- International Representative for the NZ Peace Foundation (Te Tuapapa Rongomau o Aotearoa);
- Peace and International Security Officer for the United Nations Association of New Zealand;
- Co-founder and webmaster of UNFOLD ZERO;
- Co-founder and webmaster of Move the Nuclear Weapons Money;
- Coordinating Committee Member of Abolition 2000.
Some of my most rewarding moments in life:
- Getting up early to play tennis with my father before breakfast when I was young;
- River rafting the Kaituna River (a beautiful grade 5 stretch of river);
- Helping peace studies get adopted into the New Zealand curriculum;
- Birth of Ra my daughter (a water-birth);
- DJing for the a dance party of 8000 people from 100 countries (the Hague Peace Appeal Party, 1999);
- Climbing Mt Ruapehu with my nephews;
- Scree jumping Mt Tarawera crater with daughter Ra;
- Running the New York marathon with the Peace and Sport team led by Tegla Loroupe (the first African woman to win the NY marathon);
- Winning the case against nuclear weapons which we took to the World Court (International Court of Justice);
- Being invited to perform a song I composed ‘Aotearoa Nuke free zone’ at a Nobel Peace Concert in Oslo on the day President Obama got the prize;
- Winning the crib cup from my sister Sue (a rare event);
- Touring Czech chateaus and nature parks with my parents and girlfriend;
- Winning the Right Livelihood Award (‘alternative Nobel Peace Prize’).
Some of my biggest disappointments in life:
- Getting 99% on School Certificate Mathematics and having no idea which question I got wrong:
- Al Gore losing the U.S. President election to George Bush Jr due to disqualified votes in Florida;
- A 10-year long, vicious smear campaign against me and my key organisations by ICAN (a so-called peace organisation).
Replace hatred with love, falsehood with truth and fear with hope.
The main teaching from Mildred Lisette Norma (Peace Pilgrim) who walked over 40,000 km for peace.
- This is me – by Keala Settle
- Also Sprach Zarathustra – Deodato jazz version
- Cajun Moon by Herbie Mann
- Imagine by John Lennon
- Dark side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
- What’s Up by 4 Non-Blondes
- One Love by Bob Marley (and the Playing for Change version)
- The Navigator by Vincent Ward
- Being there, starring Peter Sellers
- The Mouse that Roared, starring Peter Sellers
- 2001 a Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick
- The Life of Brian by Monty Python’s Flying Circus
- Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Lay down your arms by Bertha von Suttner
- The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera
- No Ordinary Sun by Hone Tuwhare