Editor. Published by International Peace Bureau, Parliamentarians for Nuclear Nonproliferation and Disarmament, and the World Future Council, Prague, 2016. Move the Nuclear Weapons Money provides information on nuclear weapons budgets, explores the links between nuclear disarmament and achieving the sustainable development goals, and provides examples of actions by governments, parliamentarians and civil society to cut nuclear weapons budgets and reduce the lobbying power of the nuclear weapons corporations.
Contributing author. Published by World Future Council, Hamburg, 2015. The Climate-Nuclear Nexus explores the links between the two main existential threats to human civilisation – climate change and nuclear weapons – and how the campaigns to address each could build more success through cooperation.
Principal author. Published by Religions for Peace (New York) 2013, in English, Arabic, French, German, Japanese and Spanish, with an introduction by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. Provides background for religious communities on nuclear disarmament issues, relevant religious principles and teachings, interfaith actions for nuclear disarmament and nuclear disarmament statements by religious leaders.
Co-author with Felicity Hill, Merav Datan and Juergen Scheffran. Published by the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW), Boston, 2007. A revised and updated version of Security and Survival: The Case for a Nuclear Weapons Convention, which I co-authored with Merav Datan, IPPNW, 1999. The book contains the Model Nuclear Weapons Convention, a draft treaty for the prohibition and elimination of nuclear weapons for which Merav and I were the drafting coordinators. The Model Convention has been circulated by the UN Secretary-General to all UN Member States as a guide for nuclear disarmament negotiations.
Parliamentarians and Nuclear Weapons: A Briefing Book for the Parliamentary Network for Nuclear Disarmament
Co-author with Devon Chaffee. Published by PNND, Aotearoa-New Zealand, 2002 in English and Spanish. Revised in 2007. Provides background information for parliamentarians on nuclear weapons issues, parliamentary actions, United Nations forums, relevant treaties, inter-parliamentary bodies and non-governmental initiatives. Includes a foreword by Jayantha Dhanapala, UN Under-Secretary-General for Disarmament Affairs.
Cool Schools Peer Mediation Manual
Co-author with Yvonne Duncan and Marion Hancock. Published by the Peace Foundation, Auckland 1992. Was the initial guide for the very successful Cool Schools Peer Mediation Programme.
Our Planet in Every Classroom
Co-author with Annie Doherty. Published by Putaruru Press, New Zealand, 1990. Our Planet in Every Classroom includes teaching activities for elementary and secondary schools on planetary stewardship – including on the environment, peace and global governance. The book is accompanied by a poster of planet earth for display in the classroom.
- Nuclear weapons versus the sustainable development goals, in Move the Nuclear Weapons Money, published by IPB, PNND and WFC, October 2016
- The Climate-Nuclear Nexus, Pacific Ecologist, Issue 22, Summer 2013
- Now is the Time for a Diet Change, Pacific Ecologist Issue 18, Winter 2009
- Nuclear energy and weapons: Uncontrollable in time and space, Huffington Post, March 23, 2011
- Water Not Weapons: Law Not War, presentation to the “World Summit on Sustainable Development”, Johannesburg, South Africa, September 2, 2002.
Gender & sexual violence
- Turning the Tables: Can us men really understand sexual violence against women? Pressenza, 26 March 2013.
- The shepherd girl who cried wolf! Credibility and the campaign against sexual abuse, AlynWare Blog, 3 March 2017
- Prosecution memorial, International Tribunal on the Nuclear Powers and the Destruction of Human Civilisation, Department of Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney, August 2016
- Prosecution closing statement, International Tribunal on the Nuclear Powers and the Destruction of Human Civilisation, Department of Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney, August 2016
- From Dr Strangelove to Dr Suess: Contribution of Professor Roger Clark on the legal norm against nuclear weapons, published in For the Sake of Present and Future Generations,
- New Zealand Nuclear Free Zone, Disarmament, and Arms Control Act, published in Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability: The Law and Politics of Sustainability, Editors: Klaus Bosselmann, Daniel Fogel and J.B.Ruhl, 2011.
- Rule of Force or Rule of Law? Legal Responses to Nuclear Threats from Terrorism, Proliferation, and War, Seattle Journal for Social Justice, Volume 2, Issue 1, Fall/Winter 2003
- NGO and Government Cooperation in Setting the Disarmament Agenda: The Impact of the 1996 International Court of Justice Advisory Opinion, published in Reframing the Agenda: The Impact of NGO and Middle Power Cooperation in International Security, edited by Kenneth Rutherford, Stefan Brem and Richard Matthew, Praeger, Westport CT, 2003.
- Nuclear disarmament – can the UN Secretary-General play a role? New World: Make the UN Great Again, United Nations Association of the UK, August 2016
- European parliaments demand no-first-use: Obama’s nuclear agenda analysed, co-authored with Jean-Marie Collin. InDepthNews, August 2016
- Advocacy networks and a world free of nuclear weapons, published in Global Nuclear Disarmament: Strategic, political and regional perspectives, edited by Nik Hynek and Michal Smetana, Routledge, London/New York, 2016
- Nuclear disarmament – five steps New Zealand should take, Incline: Understanding New Zealand’s place in the world, September 2, 2015
- From Prague to a Nuclear-Weapons-Free World: Is President Obama’s vision now achievable? Pressenza, April 5, 2013
- Kicking out the Bomb: Does the New Zealand experience have relevance for Scotland, Scottish Left Review, Issue 95, 2013
- An Ottawa process for nukes, The Embassy, Ottawa, November 10, 2010
- Japan and NATO are ready for the U.S. to reduce nuclear weapons, Huffington Post, April 20, 2010
- From aspiration to success:Shaping civil society action to change nuclear weapons policy, published in UNIDIR, Disarmament Forum, Civil Society and Nuclear Disarmament, 2010, No 4.
- Thinking the unthinkable on nuclear policy, Huffington Post, March 18, 2010
- Hiroshima Flame to travel the world for nuclear abolition, Pressenza, August 4, 2009
- The human factor – Revising Einstein, SGI Quarterly, July 2007
- Lobbying for Nuclear Disarmament, published in Peace is Possible, edited by Fredrik S. Heffermehl, International Peace Bureau, Geneva, Switzerland, 2000
- Depleted Uranium Weapons and International Law, published in Metal of Dishonor: Depleted Uranium, International Action Center, New York, 1997.
- IPB and the Newark Peace Education Summit, International Peace Bureau, May 15, 2011
- Peace Education in Schools, an information pamphlet for teachers, produced by Alyn Ware, the Peace Foundation and the New Zealand Ministry of Education, 2003
- Peace Education in the Curriculum, Peace is More than the Absence of War, Gil Hanly (ed), New Women’s Press, Auckland, 1986.
Security & diplomacy
- Kiwi UN experiences, UN Association of New Zealand, 2015
- Waltz-ing with the Bomb: Good Hands, Bad Hands or No Hands?, Centre for Security Studies, Zurich, February 18, 2014
- Nuclear sabre-rattling in North East Asia: Can Godzilla be tamed, Pressenza March 12, 2013. Also printed in French, Portuguese
Sport & peace
- Nuclear bombs, cooperative games and the prisoners dilemma, Basel Peace Office, June 2015
- Using sports and games to bridge conflicts and build peace: trainers workshop guide, Basel Peace Office, May 2013
- Sports and Peace – Bridge-builder or Oxymoron? Global Campaign for Peace Education editorial, July 2011.
- Juggling and the Kashmir-Jammu Conflict, SGI Quarterly, April 2008