Kia ora, welcome!
My name is Alyn Ware and I’m a peace educator and nuclear disarmament consultant.
On this blog, I will write about nuclear disarmament, peace education and other things that interest me, including ecology, vegetarianism, sports & peace, prevention of violence.
Recent blog articles
Last week, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists moved the hands of the symbolic Doomsday Clock to 2 Minutes to Midnight, indicating that the threat of a nuclear war through accident, miscalculation or intent has risen to an alarming level, and that climate change is...
On July 7, 2017, the United Nations adopted a Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (nuclear ban treaty) following 5 weeks of negotiations. 122 countries voted in favour of the treaty, demonstrating the clear and unequivocal acceptance of the majority of UN...
[Author's note: Tensions and nuclear threats between North Korea and USA/Japan/South Korea have increased in recent weeks. This is a reprint of an article I published in 2013 when there were similar tensions and threats. The ideas in the article are again very...
Speaking & Events
- Jan 12: Nuclear Disarmament: Is it achievable and is it desirable? Panel at the ISODARCO Winter Course, Trento, Italy
- Jan 14-15: Where are the Nukes? Are you banking on the bomb? Pavilion at the Basel Peace Forum, Basel, Switzerland
- Feb 22-23: OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Winter Session, Vienna, Austria.
- Mar 15-18: European Conference of Environmental Laureates. Frieberg, Germany
- Mar 24-27: 138th IPU Assembly, Geneva, Switzerland
- March 28: First session (organisational meeting) of the UN High-Level Conference on Nuclear Disarmament. New York, USA
- Apr 23-May 4: Non-Proliferation Treaty Prep Com. Abolition 2000 AGM part 1.Geneva, Switzerland
- May 10-16: Count the Nuclear Weapons Money. New York, USA
- May 14-16: UN High-Level Conference on Nuclear Disarmament. Abolition 2000 AGM part 2. New York, USA
- June 6-10: Normandy Peace Forum. Normandy, France
- Jan 20: Vienna consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. NH Danube Hotel, 9:30-11:30
- Jan 24: Geneva consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Right Livelihood Foundation Office, Maison de la Paix. 13:00-15:00
- Jan 26: Washington DC consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Green Cross International Conference Room, L St and 15th. 9:30-12:00.
- Feb 15: New York consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Bahai Conference Room, 866 UN Plaza. 10:00-12:00.
- Feb 23-24: PNND information booth at Parliamentary Assembly of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe winter meeting, Vienna.
- March 7. London. PNND briefing and discussion on Nuclear risk-reduction measures, disarmament negotiations and the role of parliamentarians. Millbank House, House of Lords, London, UK. Hosted by PNND Co-President Baroness Sue Miller.
- March 22: Berlin. PNND/UNFOLD ZERO consultation event on nuclear disarmament negotiations.
- March 27-31: New York. First session of UN negotiations for a nuclear prohibition treaty.
- April 3: Dhaka, Bangladesh. PNND side event Nuclear-risk-reduction and achieving a nuclear-weapon-free world at the 136th Assembly of the Inter Parliamentary Union.
- April 5-7: Dhaka, Bangladesh. 2017 PNND Assembly. Adoption of the Parliamentary Action Plan for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World.
- April 20-22: Berlin. Workshops for the Evangelische Schule Berlin Centrum.
- April 25: Fribourg, Switzerland. No weapons for Mass Atrocities. Public event at Fribourg University.
- May 2-12: Vienna, Austria. Conference of States Parties to the NPT (Preparatory Meeting for the 2010 NPT Review Conference).