Kia ora, welcome!
My name is Alyn Ware and I’m a peace educator and nuclear disarmament consultant.
On this blog, I will write about nuclear disarmament, peace education and other things that interest me, including ecology, vegetarianism, sports & peace, prevention of violence.
Recent blog articles
On July 7, 2017, the United Nations adopted a Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (nuclear ban treaty) following 5 weeks of negotiations. 122 countries voted in favour of the treaty, demonstrating the clear and unequivocal acceptance of the majority of UN...
[Author's note: Tensions and nuclear threats between North Korea and USA/Japan/South Korea have increased in recent weeks. This is a reprint of an article I published in 2013 when there were similar tensions and threats. The ideas in the article are again very...
Let’s be clear. Sexual violence and rape continue to plague our societies. In the United States, police figures indicate that 1 out of 6 women have been the victim of attempted or actual rape. In the UK, there are 85,000 women and 12,000 men raped every year; that's...
Speaking & Events
- Jan 12: Nuclear Disarmament: Is it achievable and is it desirable? Panel at the ISODARCO Winter Course, Trento, Italy
- Jan 14-15: Where are the Nukes? Are you banking on the bomb? Pavilion at the Basel Peace Forum, Basel, Switzerland
- Feb 22-23: OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Winter Session, Vienna, Austria.
- Mar 15-18: European Conference of Environmental Laureates. Frieberg, Germany
- Mar 24-27: 138th IPU Assembly, Geneva, Switzerland
- March 28: First session (organisational meeting) of the UN High-Level Conference on Nuclear Disarmament. New York, USA
- Apr 23-May 4: Non-Proliferation Treaty Prep Com. Abolition 2000 AGM part 1.Geneva, Switzerland
- May 10-16: Count the Nuclear Weapons Money. New York, USA
- May 14-16: UN High-Level Conference on Nuclear Disarmament. Abolition 2000 AGM part 2. New York, USA
- June 6-10: Normandy Peace Forum. Normandy, France
- Jan 20: Vienna consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. NH Danube Hotel, 9:30-11:30
- Jan 24: Geneva consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Right Livelihood Foundation Office, Maison de la Paix. 13:00-15:00
- Jan 26: Washington DC consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Green Cross International Conference Room, L St and 15th. 9:30-12:00.
- Feb 15: New York consultation on nuclear disarmament negotiations and parliamentary action. Bahai Conference Room, 866 UN Plaza. 10:00-12:00.
- Feb 23-24: PNND information booth at Parliamentary Assembly of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe winter meeting, Vienna.
- March 7. London. PNND briefing and discussion on Nuclear risk-reduction measures, disarmament negotiations and the role of parliamentarians. Millbank House, House of Lords, London, UK. Hosted by PNND Co-President Baroness Sue Miller.
- March 22: Berlin. PNND/UNFOLD ZERO consultation event on nuclear disarmament negotiations.
- March 27-31: New York. First session of UN negotiations for a nuclear prohibition treaty.
- April 3: Dhaka, Bangladesh. PNND side event Nuclear-risk-reduction and achieving a nuclear-weapon-free world at the 136th Assembly of the Inter Parliamentary Union.
- April 5-7: Dhaka, Bangladesh. 2017 PNND Assembly. Adoption of the Parliamentary Action Plan for a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World.
- April 20-22: Berlin. Workshops for the Evangelische Schule Berlin Centrum.
- April 25: Fribourg, Switzerland. No weapons for Mass Atrocities. Public event at Fribourg University.
- May 2-12: Vienna, Austria. Conference of States Parties to the NPT (Preparatory Meeting for the 2010 NPT Review Conference).